Monday, October 15, 2012

Great Find: Artisan Lettuces


Artisan Lettuce from Walmart Produce Department

New container, but the week-old one didn't look much different.



I don't shop much at Walmart, especially for food. I do go there for gas cards and kitty litter, and when I do, I always cruise the produce department to see if they have any interesting vegetables, like Swiss chard, baby bok choy, or rappini. A week or so ago, I found Artisan Lettuces, small heads of 4 different kinds of lettuce packed stem down in a plastic container (that makes an excellent container for scraps for the compost pile).







Clo
The lettuces keep an amazingly long time. I was always having to toss the last half or third of a bag of washed lettuces that I was buying. I decided to make a salad last night, wondering if there would be enough lettuce left to do so, and I did not have to discard anything but the bottom part of the stems (basically the part just above the roots).

Last night's salad.







So, my salad last night. Mixed lettuces, rotisserie chicken strips, slice almonds, dried cranberries, red bell pepper, and Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame dressing (I would have made my own dressing, but I was hungry, and I like to let homemade dressings sit overnight).












3 Different types of lettuce, bread underneath.
Plus Bacon and Tomato

The finished product.
Today, for lunch, I made a BLT (everyone knows how much I love bacon!). Very traditional, except I didn't toast the bread because I have a new toaster oven and hadn't washed the insides yet. I used Martin's 100% whole wheat bread (70 calories/slice); several leaves of the Artisan lettuce, 3 kinds; sliced tomato, about half on the sandwich, half as an "appetizer"; Wright's thick-sliced bacon (very meaty); and mayo.

Yummm!


Beautiful, yes?



And, for a little bit of healthy, grapes!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home